Sunday, September 28, 2014

Interpreting a dream just by Manifest Content


 I received the following on my email.

 I hope you can give me insight into a dream I accidentally ran across your blog. Thought you can help me decipher the symbols. So I'm sitting holding my son in my lap looking out into a bunch of chickens, one turns around and it turns out to be a small baby cockatoo with one big green right eye. It starts going toward me is picked up by a child and its carried toward me. It opens its beak and out comes a white cobra, super long it keeps coming and coming. I'm calling out to my father and he is taking his time. I comment good in an emergency you are taking long enough.. Here I wake up.

Should one interpret a dream without obtaining the associations to its individual elements from the dreamer? Or more correctly can a dream be interpreted at all without being privy to the associations?

Some dreams are transparently simple composed entirely with typical symbols and one can guess its hidden meaning quite accurately. But most dreams will have quite a few obscure elements which are quite personal to the dreamer and unless one is familiar with the patients life experiences one's interpretation can be way off mark Nevertheless some elements of a dream can be made sense of in most dreams. The one I have been challenged to decipher has few elements like that. I must admit I could be totally wrong in deducing the following.

I'm sitting holding my son in my lap

This immediately conjures up the image of Madonna with baby Jesus. The dreamer appears to relish her role as mother and is looking out into a bunch of chickens for another child - chickens symbolizing children. Patient apparently had access to watching chicken coop in her childhood where her first sexual curiosity was satisfied and where she first saw parallels between chicken and human family lives.  The fact that one turns around and it turns out to be a small baby cockatoo strengthens the conjecture that the chicken were symbol of children.  Cockatoo being more colorful and nearer to human child, and the fact that it was being carried by a child towards her confirms that she is wishing for another child.

It is difficult to say what one big green right eye means. One will have to get her associations to why the eye is green, why just one and why exclusively the right one. Each of these elements will have their own meanings. Perhaps some relative of hers has green eyes which she would like to have in her own child or perhaps the man she is attracted to and from who she wants to have the child has green eyes. Right in dream usually alludes to what is moral or correct while left signifies sinister or wrong or against the norms.

It opens its beak and out comes a white cobra

The beak and cobra both are symbols of penis. The dream perhaps is alluding to the fear of sex and male genitals, something that the woman has to bear to obtain a baby. The fear may be a childhood fear and only traces of it may be present in her present state but it is present in all women at least in childhood - a fear of sex and the fear of being harmed by the sexual act because of the large size of the penis. This fear is alluded to in the dream by and out comes a white cobra, super long it keeps coming and coming

Why it is white is difficult to say. Generally white alludes to death or purity.

I'm calling out to my father and he is taking his time. I comment good in an emergency you are taking long enough.. Here I wake up

This is call to help from her father to save her from having sex with a man and coming to harm. She is trying to reactivate her love for her father as a shield against succumbing to the charm of another man and for the wish to have another child. There is a wish for sex and recoiling from that wish for the former could prove dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment